There are six main reasons for the US government to devalue or steal value from the dollars/digits in your bank account. This list comes from the program, Turning Inflation into Wealth, by Dan Amerman.
1. Creating money out of thin air on a massive basis is all that stands between the current state of hidden depression, and overt depression with unemployment levels potentially rivaling those seen in the Great Depression of the 1930s.
2. It is the most effective way to not just pay down current crushing debt levels using devalued dollars, but also to deal with the rapidly approaching massive generational crisis of paying for Boomer retirement promises.
3. It creates a lucratively profitable $500 billion a year hidden tax for the benefit of the US government – a tax which is not understood by voters or debated in elections.
4. It creates a second and quite different form of hidden taxation by way of generating artificial market highs, which while non-existent in inflation-adjusted terms, do create artificial investment profits that are fully taxable and highly profitable for the US government.
5. It is the weapon of choice being used to wage currency war and reboot US economic growth; and
6. It is an essential component of political survival and enhanced power for incumbent politicians.
In this article we take a holistic approach to understanding how individual short, medium and long-term pressures all come together to leave the government with effectively no choice but to create a significant rate of inflation that will steadily destroy the value of the dollar over time.